Distribution of family names and information for Adopt-A-Family are available this month. The names of local families will be provided by Uncommon Good, OLA’s St. Vincent de Paul Society, and the San Gabriel Valley Regional Center. Donors have the option of providing gift cards for a family shopping trip, OR wrapping gifts/food and bringing them to the Uncommon Good office located at 211 W. Foothill Blvd., OR delivering the gifts/food in person. Single donations of toys or gift cards are also accepted.
For more information, contact Deacon Jim Allgaier at (909) 626-3596, ext. 4216.
People who have participated in this program in the past have found it very rewarding and that it brings a special joy to Christmas. Here are some guidelines to help you make the most of this experience:
1. You will receive the names, gender, and age of each family member along with their address, phone number and any special needs they may have.
2. You can call the parent and inquire about what the children need and want for Christmas and then purchase gifts for the family .
3. You may also buy groceries for the family's Christmas dinner.
4. You can call the parent and tell them you will purchase a gift certificate for a department store such as Target or Walmart. This allows the parent the opportunity to select Christmas gifts for the children. Gift certificates are available at local stores or at the OLA School office during regular hours; call (909) 626-7135, ext. 208, for assistance.
6. You can buy a gift certificate to a grocery store and allow the family to purchase groceries for their Christmas dinner.
7. If you choose to give the family gift certificates, please deliver in time for them to shop before Christmas. In order to prevent theft or loss, do not mail the gift certificates. Gift certificates may be brought to the office of Uncommon Good at 211 W. Foothill Blvd. Please call (909) 625-2248 for detailed directions.
8. When you adopt a family, you are expected to deliver any gift certificates directly to the family or to the Uncommon Good office. The parish does not have the resources to deliver gifts for you.
9. If you have any questions, you may contact Adopt-a-Family Coordinator, Deacon Jim Allgaier at (909) 626-3596, ext. 4216 or Carlos Carillo of Uncommon Good at (909) 625-2248.
Have a blessed Christmas!