Our mission during the Confirmation Preparation Process is to help prepare the high school aged youth to receive the sacrament and to deepen their faith and that of the parish community. Confirmation preparation is a process in Christian growth based on the belief that teenagers are at a significant point in their faith journey where they are beginning to establish a personal faith identity. Through sharing their own journey and interacting with others, the candidates are assisted in identifying and understanding how God is working in their lives, and come to a new realization of faith within the context of the parish community.
What is Confirmation?
Confirmation, together with Baptism and Eucharist, form the Sacraments of Initiation that are all intimately connected. In the Sacrament of Confirmation, the baptized person is “sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit” and is strengthened for service to the Body of Christ and welcomed fully into the life of the Church.
Our Lady of the Assumption's Youth Confirmation Process
OLA has adopted a hybrid model of small group and large group gatherings to help teens prepare to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. This model allows for greater session flexibility, meets teens where they are, and allows for great intimacy and real sharing as teens engage with their peers.
Over the course of the 2 year process teens will meet in small groups approximately twice a month on their chosen day from 7:00pm to 8:30pm. However, quarterly all the candidates in their confirmation year will gather together for a large group gathering. On a few occasions, we will require either the Confirmation sponsor or parent to attend the session as well. Those dates will be clearly listed on the schedule which is distributed at minimum two weeks prior to the start of the formation year.
Teens are assigned to their small group at the beginning of the year and get to pick the day of the week they would like to meet. Year 1 Candidates can meet on either Monday or Tuesday while Year 2 Candidates can meet on either Wednesday or Thursday. In these sessions, we gather as a small group and open with prayer. We begin with an icebreaker or fun activity and then a speaker, Core member, or video series is used to present the teaching. After the teaching confirmation candidates break open the lesson through discussion and activities. We then conclude with announcements and closing prayer. Our sessions cover topics approved by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
*Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all sessions will be held virtually over ZOOM until further notice. Any necessary in person gatherings will follow health and safety guidelines provided by the Archdiocese and local government officials.
- Step 1: Learn more about OLA's Youth Confirmation process by reviewing the Youth Confirmation Handbook.
- Step 2: Complete the Online Registration Form
- Year 1 Confirmation Online Registration Form: https://forms.gle/t5PuyQ7tsQcjHH6n8
- Year 2 Confirmation Online Registration Form: All previous candidates were emailed the link to register. If you are wishing to transfer in to our process for Year 2 please contact Jesus Rodriguez directly
- Step 3: Pay the $200 registration fee online or visit the Parish Office to pay by cash or check. Pay Online Here
- Step 4: Submit any necessary documents to coordinator of Faith Formation Center.
- Step 5: Save the Date! Full calendar will be distributed two weeks prior to the first week of November.
- Year 1 Session Parent Session is on Monday November 2 from 7:00pm to 8:30pm
- Year 2 Session Parent Session is on Wednesday November 4 from 7:00pm to 8:30pm