Knights of Columbus
Knights of Columbus is a fraternal organization of more than 1.7 million members. Its membership is open to Christian men at least 18 years of age. The K of C is dedicated to the welfare and growth of the Catholic Church, to community organizations such as the Marian Homes, and to supporting "the fundamental right to life." The council offers programs that help strengthen family and marital bonds and support Catholic education. They are committed to fostering a supportive fraternal bond among members.
Five areas of service at OLA
- Faith: Knights of Columbus attend Sunday Mass as a group each month, and participate in celebrations for the OLA faith community such as Confirmation and the Feast of Our Lady of the Assumption. They lead the Stations of the Cross on Friday evenings during Lent. Members serve in every pastoral ministry in the parish.
- Community: Knights of Columbus sponsor the regular OLA Blood Drive. A Lenten Fish Fry is planned this year for the OLA community, as well as an Hawaiian luau social during the summer. They are often tapped to assist at parish events such as the annual picnic. Knights also serve as members of the OLA parish coordinating councils.
- Family: Knights of Columbus support parish programs for educating children in the Catholic Faith through scholarships and participation in OLA School-related events, such as the pancake breakfast which follows the Children's Mass on the last Sunday of the month.
- Youth: Knights of Columbus host an annual basketball free-throw tournament and participate in events for Uturn Teen Ministry.
- Fellowship: Knights of Columbus meet monthly on the first Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. Other social events for members are planned throughout the year.
- Pro-Life: Members of the K of C are actively involved in the "respect life" ministry in the parish.
Thanksgiving Dinners for Needy Families
Christmas Party for Needy Families
Lenten Fish Fry
Steak Fry to support Msgr. Tom Welbers, Salesian Lay Missioners,
Persecuted Christians in Iraq and Wounded Warriors (Veterans)
American Wheelchair Foundation
Columbian Retirement Home
Ongoing Food Collection: Food for Families
Faith formation scholarships
Habitat for humanity
Claremont homeless Advocacy Program
OLA School scholarships
OLA Youth Program
OLA Cap[ital Campaign
OLA Parish Gift
Parish Picnic (School Anniversary)
Uturn Summer Mission Trip
Altar Servers Picnic
Ultra-Sound Project (Pro-life)
Vacation Bible School Picnic
Visit the website of the national Knights of Columbus organization at www.kofc.org. This organization is collectively responsible for the following:
1. An annual donation to the Holy Father for his charities through "Vicarius Christi Fund" ($43 million to date)
2. Providing uplink costs for televising papal ceremonies, especially at Christmas and Holy Week
3. The "Pacem in Terris Fund" to benefit Christian communities in the Holy Land
4. Funding to restore the facade and the atrium of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome
5. A contribution of $12.8 million to the U.S. Bishops' Pro-Life educational campaign since 1990
6. Providing the entire budget of the National Family Planning offices of the U.S. and Canadian Bishops
7. Sponsoring the National Catholic Bioethics Center's bishops' workshop on vital life-death issues
8. Establishing a $6.6 million endowment fund for bishops and priests studying at the pontifical colleges in Rome and American College in Louvain
9. FUnded the donation of 8,000 wheelchairs to handicapped individuals throughout thge world, including 2,000 to U.S. Military Veterans
10. Support the spiritual welfare of armed services personnel and their families around the globe through a $1 million fund for the Archdiocese for Military Services